Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:34 pm 

In a few weeks time I'll be swapping out my J16 engine in my 720 for what was going to be a Z20E. But now I have aquired a Z24 because I got it dirt cheap and the Z20 i had was missing the starter and distributor. So I'm gonna be swapping in the Z24 with the Z20E intake manifold and fuel injection.

-What do I do with fueling? Can I just run an external fuel pump on the feed line like the 280Z and 910 bluebird(Z20E) did? I'm not sure if there's a return line on my car but if not I would have to plumb one in.

-I have both the engine wiring loom and the harness from the donor car, but I can't find the dropping resistor for the injectors. I do have one from a CA18DET. Will that do? Plugs aren't the same but that's easily changed either by fitting new connectors or soldering them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:36 pm 

Check that the z24 head has the provisions for the injectors on the intake ports. If it doesnt, file them in.

Does the z24 run a napz system? aka 8 plug distributor? If it does, convert it with the z20 dissy.

Fueling you will need a surge pot as the tanks dont have the bowl in it like newer tanks. When i did the efi swap in my 720, i got a surge pot and used a good quality high volume external pump to pull from the main tank and feed the surge pot. I then used a bosch 044 series high pressure pump from the pot up to the engine. Engine return went into the pot and pot overflow back to the main tank. Ideally you'll want to upgrade the diameter of the factory steel lines on the car. So either run new bundy tube or run good quality fuel line from the back to the front. The 1/4 factory lines are a little small to feed the efi system. It does work, but its best doing it properly first go.

You can buy the resisters from jaycar if needed and make up your own set. Pretty simple circuit. Otherwise the CA drop resistors will prob do, but youll want to double check the ohms on the z injectors against the ca injectors. If i recall correctly, theyre that similar itll work ok. But worth doing your homework first.

Is this Spiff from overseas? With the z18et 910?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:50 pm 

EFI rubber fuel hose is different to carby fuel hose- it's made to cope with much higher internal pressures. Don't use carby type hose in EFI systems (Other way round is fine).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:06 am 

You can use carb fuel line on the return line part if you like,
But not the feed side on EFI

Present:
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My Standard Car)
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My SR20DET 6Spd Car)
KP710 140J Delux (New Road Car)
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:40 am 

Yes, this is he, although the 910 is long gone. I now have a 720 rwd with J16 engine, I've filed out the inlet ports on the z24 head for the injectors, I've also portmatched the intake manifold since the z20 has round ports. Just waiting on the correct oil sump pan now and I can start hooking it up. I've bought new fuel lines too.
I have a bmw 320 internal fuel pump with tank armature and all, I was thinking of using that just make a big hole in the tank for the armature to fit and away we go... but we'll see :P
Here's the project thread for those interested: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64435 ... 00-pickup/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:06 pm 

Ah mate, sad to hear the 910 is gone. Was a great looking project.

Ironic how you ended up with a 720. I had a king cab 720 rwd to which i put the z18et into. Sold the old girl a year or so back now. Do miss it. Glad to see you're still ripping into it all though and still playing the Z route. Ill check your build out now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:22 pm 

Its funny reading all of your build problems. Similar to what i had when fiddling with mine. However i envy you got the h190 LSD for the rear. I was looking at a axle swap from a later model pathfinder just so i could have that LSD goodness. Open spinner used to axle tramp like a mofo when it gripped up. Plus wasnt much fun for skids.

I also was looking at a 5 stud conversion using 90's toyota hilux hubs and a mix of both the toyota and nissan brake parts to make it work. Also meant i could bolt on 300zx calipers over vented hilux discs. =)

If you need a hand sourcing parts for the build, send me an email or message and ill try help you out. I know some dime a dozen bits we had available here in aus are hard to get over there, etc.

Pretty cool build man, keep up the solid work =)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:07 pm 

Thanks, the H190 axle was to wide for me unfortunately so I decided to sell the lsd center, sold it to a guy on the aussiebluebirds forum.
I've found a 720 C200 rear axle that I'll probably end up with, the seller says it's LSD but all the forums say 720's never had lsd's so I don't know, regardless a C200 has aftermarket support so I could always buy a lsd for it. I've gotten in touch with the guy that currently has the 910, it's ending up as a banger race car, but all the goodies are coming back to me! Turbo, manifolds, injectors and the like, so you know how this 720 will end up like ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:31 pm 

C200 axels were used in the d21 navaras and pathfinders etc, and i do recall there was a merge year around 85/86 where they were using the hd c200 axles on the last of the 720s. Before the reshape. They typically were clsd types and had drum brakes. I wanted to use a 95/96 pathfinder diff as they had the c200 clsd and disk brakes. But never got there.

As for the z parts coming back from the 910....maaad! Definitely going to be a cool build. As mentioned i do miss having my old 720. Way too much fun was had with it. However i think next time ill go with a 620 and put a vg30det in it. Need more torque haha. But thats prob after the jag with the chev 350 i want to build. gah... too many wants.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:52 am 

In the process of wiring up the z20e efi on my z24. I've run the harness into the cabin, the ecu needs a rpm signal from the coil negative. Can i just splice into the negative wire that runs from the coil and into the cabin or do I need to actually run a separate wire from the ecu all the way to the coil?