Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 1600 brakes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:59 am 

OK here's a strange one that needs an answer . Was looking over car the other day , notice front brake reservoir empty . Checked under car for leak , no sign of any leakage in any lines , calipers , T joiner , absolutely no leak anywhere . Filled reservoir again , drew fluid through both front lines, although haven't properly bled yet . Reservoir has remained at same level as was when last filled a week or so ago . Where did fluid go ??? and why was reservoir empty .
Rgds wnw-244

Post subject: Re: 1600 brakes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:38 am 

In most dual circuit master cylinders the front-most reservoir is for the rear brakes, the rear reservoir for the front brakes.
Both will go down in level as pads (or shoes) wear out but shouldn't go that low unless there's a problem, or you don't check it often enough.

I just had a leaking rear wheel cylinder, so replaced both since surely the 2nd one would go soon thanks to Murphy - the wheel cylinder leaks in drums can be hard to spot unless so much fluid leaks that it shows on the outside of the drum or the backing plate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:38 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If the brakes are boosted, the fluid could have leaked past the piston(s) into the booster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:10 pm 

Thanks xfacta you are correct with reservoir positioning to which brakes front /rear---- Pista_510 i didn't want to hear that BUT had that feeling also
rgds wnw-244

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 am 

I'm going to jump in on this thread as I have a similar fault. The front reservoir emptys slowly over time. I've already replaced the rear wheel cylinders and all the flex lines with ADR approved braided items. A few of the hard line fittings had rounded off so I replaced them too.

The fault remains! Today however I noticed that the front reservoir was low again, but the rear was over full and seeping out of the filler cap! Seems like some kind of internal leak?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:32 pm 

I think we both have a similar problem ---leaking seal in master cylinder . I still can't see where fluid is disappearing to , pray it's not into booster.