Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:48 pm 

Hi all

Here's the background: my 180B SSS is lowered and is running R31 rear disks. The original fitment of the hydraulic hose fouled the bodywork and resulted in a damaged hose, so I'm replacing it (along with all the other hoses as they're all old). I want to use rubber-lined P-clips to mount the brake hoses on the top surface of the semi-trailing arm between the spring and drive shaft using an M4 rivnut (or I can tap the hole for a bolt).

I haven't been able to find anything in the VicRoads Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles that permits or prohibits drilling a 6-7mm hole in the top surface of the semi trailing arms. Does anyone know if this is permitted, or point me to the right place to look for the rules on modifying the suspension arm?

Thanks!
Duncan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:03 pm 

Without looking at the Vicroads documentation and going from memory, modification to suspension (including arms etc., but not cross members) is not allowed.
That being said, if you are only drilling a single hole in an area that doesn't have any effect on strength and loads passing through the suspension arm, such as the semi-trailing arm, then I don't see why this would be an issue.
Vicroads and VASS Engineers (if in VIC) are concerned if you weld suspension components also. That being said, if you are a certified welder, you are ok. Basically, if you know what you are doing, it should be fine...

Where would you be drilling the hole on the top surface?