Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:14 pm 

i know datsport does this convo, but im in nz and just want to do it myself if possible and want to know if it bolts str8 in or do you have to modify some stuff?
any help appreciated.
cheers
michael

Post subject: stuff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:53 am 
I think the corss member must be sectioned???
whatever that mean, otherwise no...it should bolt straight in.

However I am no expert even though I intend to buyt this kit from Barry and many people rave about it and it offers alot of advantages over other kits.

IE lots of camber and castor without **** castor bushes etc
better handling and the use of r31 struts which also means lowered without bump stops, longer springs better shocks and better brake options.
Of course I don't know how well stock struts go with this kit and whether you must buy the the r31 struts also????

ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:11 pm 
What is the width of the standard 1600 cross-member?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:50 pm 
thats also as much as i know, thanks for backing up what i figured to be true tho, maybe ill just have to buy the crossmember only from datsport and source the rest myself.... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:58 pm 
and the sway bar is custom, but yes all the rest are from the 200b and can be bought from the wreckers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:09 pm 

Hi Michael,
I've been thinking about putting a 200b front end in my 1600 for a while now. Datsport cuts of the plates which bolt up to the chassis frame rails and welds in new ones a bit lower ( I think about 15 mm but this is just what i would thing from looking at photos of the crossmember).
So the whole cross member would sit higher than it is designed to but then so would the engine unless you modified the engine mounts.
I'm planning on doing it all myself because I've got all the bits allready. As for how far forwards to mount the Xmember, I've worked out by trial fitting it on one of the old 1600 shells I've got sitting around, that if the xmember is positioned so that the engine mounts are in the standard position (not worrying about the height for the moment) then the inner controll arm pivots will be about 20 mm further forward (as well as being much closer to the center of the car) than the stock 1600. this is very good for running a fair bit of castor. I think that is the basic idea of the Datsport kit.
Do you have 4WD Cordias in NZ?
Thomas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:16 pm 
jeez

if it is that simple why does he charge **** $1245 for a kit???

seems excessive

Post subject: tight ass knowitall...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:02 pm 
if you look closely at the pics on his site you will see there is lots of bushes, the sway bar, control arms and crossmember all powder coated, the crossmember has been sectioned and raised which is a bit of work to get just right, g/box mount, modified steering linkages, ball joints, etc, etc, etc.
Give the bloke credit for putting in the many hours of research and development that goes into designing these things in the first place. Add it up and see if you can do it with the same quality for less and be engineer approved too.....

http://datsport.com/Complete_conversion_kit.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:09 am 

And with a warranty!