Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:02 pm 

Hey guys trying to get wheels but searching and researching sizes and mainly offsets are doing my head in.

I have a 1600 with 200b strut and brake upgrade.

Right now I have 15x6.5 and they clear the strut but with wheel and tyre stick about 10mm out too far with a 15mm offset

Will 15x7" wheels fit on the front without sticking out too much??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 am 

Standard 200b struts or coilovers with camber adjustment?

Also what fitting kit are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:41 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

What tyre are you running?
If you don't want to roll the guards and your current 6.5" are hanging out 10mm then you need another 10mm + offset. To run the same tyres on the 7" rims then will need another 6mm + offset.
So that adds up to 15+10+6 = 31mm +.
but then from memory I think you will likely have trouble hitting the strut/spring perch.
One of my old 1600's ran 200B struts with 15x7 + 26 with 195/60/15 tyres. I still have them in the shed. They hung out by about 5mm or so and I think they scrubbed on the inner wheel arch on full lock. It was 20 odd years back so can't remember the scrubbing well.

Hope that helps
Mick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:28 pm 

Hi . I'm running 16 x 7 on 200B struts , no coil overs , no camber adjustment 205 x 40 or 45 x 16 tyres (can't remember now) Maddat modified struts also and brake upgrade. Rims after searching for 6 months for a suitable rim to suit the 1600 and more importantly a suitable offset. Ended up buying ROTA RB's +22 offset and they fit well -look good --no scrubbing . Google up 18racing in the states , they have big range/offset/colours .

Rgds wnw-244

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:34 pm 

Bozo510 wrote:

Standard 200b struts with datsport handling and conversion kit.
Coz22a wrote:
What tyre are you running?
If you don't want to roll the guards and your current 6.5" are hanging out 10mm then you need another 10mm + offset. To run the same tyres on the 7" rims then will need another 6mm + offset.
So that adds up to 15+10+6 = 31mm +.
but then from memory I think you will likely have trouble hitting the strut/spring perch.
One of my old 1600's ran 200B struts with 15x7 + 26 with 195/60/15 tyres. I still have them in the shed. They hung out by about 5mm or so and I think they scrubbed on the inner wheel arch on full lock. It was 20 odd years back so can't remember the scrubbing well.

Hope that helps
Mick
Three I wanna get a new set. I been told I need +25 offset.
WNW-244 wrote:
Hi . I'm running 16 x 7 on 200B struts , no coil overs , no camber adjustment 205 x 40 or 45 x 16 tyres (can't remember now) Maddat modified struts also and brake upgrade. Rims after searching for 6 months for a suitable rim to suit the 1600 and more importantly a suitable offset. Ended up buying ROTA RB's +22 offset and they fit well -look good --no scrubbing . Google up 18racing in the states , they have big range/offset/colours .

Rgds wnw-244
Thanks il look them up. What exactly is modified on the Maddat strut and what brakes?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 am 

rapa59 wrote:
Bozo510 wrote:

There is the problem. My advice is convert to R31 struts with the use of 65mm ID springs/platforms etc and these issues will go away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:10 am 

Rebuilt 200B struts modified to take RX-7 series 4 calipers . No major mods to struts . If memory serves me correctly , if you use R31 struts the offset has to be even greater , but somebody else may advise here . It may depend on what design rim you like and what offset these are available in . 200B struts will require +22 to +25 maybe . +22 i know fit with 15 & 16"rims with these brakes .
p.s you may need to roll the rear inner guards to make same size fit.
Rgds wnw-244

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:47 am 

Bozo510 wrote:
rapa59 wrote:
Bozo510 wrote:

There is the problem. My advice is convert to R31 struts with the use of 65mm ID springs/platforms etc and these issues will go away.
I thought about this. The kit pushes the strut out plus the extra big hub on the 200b strut but I assumed the kit would be made with this in mind.

Can I just change the 200b hub to something smaller? R31 hub fit?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:36 am 

rapa59 wrote:
I thought about this. The kit pushes the strut out plus the extra big hub on the 200b strut but I assumed the kit would be made with this in mind.

Can I just change the 200b hub to something smaller? R31 hub fit?
I can't speak on behalf of the company that produced your kit, but I would say it's possibly a fair assumption the kit was designed around R31 struts for a number of reasons (shortest factory strut, wheel clearance because spindle angle & hub face etc?)

The positives of the kit are widened track, but the compromise is wheel offset on the front. Some guys have used 280zx struts as they provide the best options for that kit.

The 200b kit was a good one for it's time. A $50 200b crossmember with modified mounting points, newer sway bar design, the crush tubes for the less flex. Standard unmodified control arm.

These days guys are making full replacement crossmembers, not sure why they don't also make a good fixed length control arm as well though as it's not that much additional effort. Also don't understand why the guys making the crossmembers didn't incorporate a crush tube design OR there is an easier small modification that uses a nutsert style insert that pulls into the chassis rail that you bolt to and provides a more rigid design again (searched but the exact name escapes me, will update if I find).

I haven't seen any proven data on the bits above, and everyone has their own personal preference as there are always compromises with different designs, but I prefer the stock crossmember modified to incorporate the extras I mentioned above as they cannot hurt, then run a 15mm extended control arm with whatever struts you want and still be able to fit a decent offset wheel.