Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: VIBRATIONS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

QUESTION: Can the half shaft be removed without taking off the brakes backing plate which then means i have to disconnect the brake pipes? Thanks for the future advice :)

^^ the halfshaft can be removed without removing the brake backing plate - it's a bit of a fiddly job with holding the bolts / nuts in various positions, but it can definitely be done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:19 pm 

Thanks sr20datsun . I have been told to check the angle of the propshaft with the angle of the centre line of the car.The centre line being the line from front to rear of the car.They must be same or the propshaft is running at a angle.I have also obtained a complete back axle and will now swop it with the one in the car.This could tell me ,[ if the vibration is gone], it was in the first axle.
That said then the pinion bearing is tired OR the axle bearings.
If the vibration is still there then its the transmission or the tailshaft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:21 pm 

Thanks pista_510. Check my other post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:02 am 

Well guys after replacing the propshaft still had vibrations.
Then went to guy who has a "rolling road" [two steel rollers that the cars wheels rest in for each side]
and while i am "driving the car" he is underneath in the pit listening for the vibration.What does he find ?
The drivers side axle shaft bearing is so stuffed he could feel the vibration of it with his hand!!
He also used a french hand held gadget which has a long aluminium thin shaft and ear gadgets like a doctor[facom product] has to listen for sounds. Now the joke;;I am battling to find bearings.My car has a 32mm axle shaft and the bearing is 72x32x19mm and they tell me its a odd size as the datsun A10 [1800j sss over here] has a 30 mm diameter shaft.
Well after four weeks i managed to locate two BUT now i am looking for the collar which goes on to secure the bearing.The hunt goes on! Thank goodness i dealt with a knowledgeable chap who said he will find them.
If all else fails i will have two made.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:04 am 

By the way i did not change the axle as i said i would .I am to LAZY to go to that extent .HA HA