Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: KA24E Head Conversion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm 

I was Readin through an ol' posting that had references to a
KA24E cylinder head conversion some dude had done with his
engine.
I am really interested in the details of this build and how he
went with getting if dynoed.
There was also talk of a web page under devlopement and are keen to have a look at it if it's up and running yet.
Anyways im really keen at havin a go at this conversion myself and would like to know as much as possible so any help would be
greatly appreciated

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:17 am 

yeah he is on these forums... definatly the best person 2 talk 2 about this.. as far as i know it wasnt 'bolt on'

Mazda 121 - Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:22 am 

I'm here! :D

My project has not been dynoed yet but it is very close. The combo has run very briefly but with no fuel or ignition map for such a custom engine, it was a guessed fuel map and it just didn't run smooth or even idle. Back to get the rest of the car up to scratch, then let the professionals do it on the dyno.

I have been occasionally updating a webpage which I will post a link for when the engine has done something worthwhile. The conversion is a bit tricky so I would like it to be proven before I tell you all how to do it. I'm not hiding anything, the webpage is quite thorough :)

But it's not a cheap conversion, everything from the L block upwards gets changed and some parts are custom.

Post subject: great to hear back
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:21 pm 

when do you think you page will be on the go,
im really keen to try this conversion,i really like the potential of it

I've already started gatering a few bits and pieces for the conversion and would like to a little more on basic things i need to get me on track

Any help would be majorly appreicated :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:37 pm 

For a few reasons, you are better off starting with a Z bottom end (with the twin row timing chain, I think is stronger). and if you are even wiser, a RWD navara head and some type of carby that fits the manifold.

I made it harder for myself by using the pintara (fwd) head and then making a turbo manifold and aftermarket efi for the lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:34 am 

zac.....
L-series engines have twin row timing chains too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:25 am 

Hi Zac,

Thanks again for being so helpful before. A couple of weeks ago I finally got that DE head! I plan on getting the bottom end over the Xmas break. So it's s-l-o-w-l-y getting there, it's just that most of the work being funneled into fixing rust!

Cheers,

Beef.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:07 pm 

damn, I wanted to be the first to do the twin cam head too!!
I've seen a couple of DEs now but I'd love to have a good look at the twin cam head sometime. did you get the timing cover too? I think you will need half of that. you should bring that head around one day ;)

datsunboy, yes I know that but I have seen Z20 engines with twin and single row timing chains. The KA24 came with a single row timing chain too but they have known timing chain problems although I think this is more to do with an inadequate tensioner. actually you will need to convert the L series to single row timing chain to fit the twin cam head due to the drive to the two camshafts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:57 pm 

You probably will be the first to do the twin cam!! Everything seems to take a l-o-n-g time for me.

I won't have any free space in the shed for a motor rebuild, until we wheel out the shell. So it's gonna be a while...

I haven't got the timing cover yet. I'm hoping to get all the required L & Z bits over Xmas break. U-pull-it ahoy! :)

I can take the head around your way if you like. If you want to PM your details to me, I'm sure something could be arranged. :wink:

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:02 pm 

so what did parts do you use to convert the timing chain to
a double row instead of single row?? Does the normal L-series or Z-Series timing gear go straight onto the front of the KA cam or does it require modification?? What about timing chain guides and tensioners????

I am already running in my car at the moment an injected turbo L-series,useing a jap factory injection manifold and autronic computer, the turbo in a T3/T04E and is making reasonable power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:01 pm 

My timing chain is already double row as I used an L20b bottom end. I only mentioned the single row to highlight one of the differences. I didn't know some Z20 had single row timing chains until I started this project.

On my L20b bottom end I fitted a Z20 chain, Z20 timing cover, Z20 water pump, Z20 (driver side) chain guide. I also had to fit the matching pulley system for the different Z pumps. This was a Z20 alternator bracket and whichever crank pulley you want to use (there are several types throughout the model years). I fitted the stock L-series double row cam gear to the KA24 camshaft using the KA24 bolt- L series bolt wouldn't fit. I had a complete KA24E engine to pull apart.

While this all bolted on, I reiterate it has not been proven yet. It might just spit the dummy the first time I rev it to 5000!

Another problem is that on a stock L20b bottom end, I have calculated the compression ratio to be 7:1. the 2.4litre head has a big combustion chamber.

Steveo thats a good start having that equipment, fuel system, engine management, exhaust, already in the car.

Here is a photo I took today:
[ img ]

Post subject: Unreal!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:48 pm 

Your engine bay is mad... that is exactly what i wanna do with my thing.
i was lookin on the net the other night and i happened to come across a web site that might interest you..
You were talkin bout doin a twin cam KA24DE head conversion onto a L-series right? now would it be any harder to do this conversion??? now i relise that you were sayin that you would have to convert the L-series to a single row timing chain.. now this web site shows a KA24DE with standard double row timing chain. just interested to see wether you think it would be the go to do one of them or do you reckon there'd be to many hassels..

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpd ... KA24DE.PDF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:24 pm 

zac,

WHERE is your intercooler?!

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:11 am 

Stevo, I can't speak for that particular engine. You would have to ask the yanks. In that PDF it says in 1998 nissan swapped to a single row timing chain.
The couple of KA24DE engines I have looked at have been FWD U13 bluebird versions and they have had an odd twin timing chain setup. the usual chain drives a second shorter chain that rotates the two cams that are higher up in the head. These engines would have to be the most 'available' herein Australia, unless you imported an engine.

I think you could certainly fit the head as I've checked the bore spacing and head bolts and they seem to be the same. But if you don't know what you are doing you could run into trouble. Some issues to think about would be the valves and the possibility of them hitting pistons. the way a 4 valve setup is laid out would put the valves closer to the bore circle and more likely to hit stuff. Matching the 89mm bore in the L20b block would be a good start. I guess you could calculate the valve clearance using the known data from KA24DE pistons, etc. with a shorter L20b stroke the piston would spend less time at TDC too.
The front of the head and the timing cover mating face is different, you would have to cut and shut together the top section of the KA24DE timing cover and the bottom of an L cover because the KA24DE one would be too tall for the block. Basically you would need to replicate the entire cam train on an L20b. a single row z20 chain might be the right length to reach the top gear if you are using a U13 head.
Some of the coolant galleries are different but they might just need to be tweaked with a die grinder. I'm not sure what head bolts you could use. My experienced with the KA24E is that when nissan extended the height of the block, they kept the head bolt cut outs the same, so the taller block has 20mm longer head bolts. Good chance the KA24DE ones would not fit the L20b block for that reason.
Considering that you will need a bit of the timing gear you're probably best off looking for a whole engine which is what I ended up doing with the KA24E. I pulled apart a perfectly good engine to salvage for bits, then sold off the short block! I did however, learn a hell of a lot about the engines by doing that.

Then there are all the problems outside of the block with manifolding pointing the wrong way, distributors that hit firewalls, etc etc.

It might sound like I have it sorted out to an extent but I still don't think it would be easy or cheap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:14 am 

Quote:
WHERE is your intercooler?!
the same place mine is :lol:

and that's my 300th post. :lol: