Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 308 and t350 in 720
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm 

So I done some research and didn't find much a bloke wanted to stick a 253 in a 720 but up to original box another stuck a 253 in a sunny but couldn't find photos of it anywhere so i blew my fourth l18 in my work horse (bottom end again)

82 720 single cab soon to be v8 :lol:

Post subject: Re: 308 and t350 in 720
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I'm feeling your pain, I managed to kill my fair share of L20Bs back in the day. Not fun :(

Now regarding your question, I don't believe that there will be any off-the-shelf parts you can use so it'll all be custom. In saying that it shouldn't be overly difficult. You'll have to pick your engine placement and then make up some engine mounts and a gearbox crossmember to suit. Not too difficult if you have a welder and know what you're doing. Wiring should be pretty straightforward. I'm not sure what you'd use as far as a radiator is concerned, you'll just have to work that out once the engine is in. Obviously exhaust, radiator hoses, accelerator cable etc will have to be made or worked out once the engine is in.

Is your 720 a 4wd? If so you might have difficulty adapting the transfer case. I don't know much about 720 transfer cases but if there is no way then you could swap to a Land Cruiser or Hilux transfer case to make things easier. There are adapters available for these. Regardless of whether it is 2wd or 4wd a custom driveshaft will be required.

Before you carry out the conversion, just make sure it is a conversion you can get engineered or mod plated. This swap has been done several times into Hiluxs and they are a similar weight so I don't imagine you'd have much trouble but just check first. Other than that keep us updated and post some photos :thumbsup:

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:08 am 

Sorry I don't know what happened to the rest of it but had a 308 and t350 for my next project and got into it lol they never gave much room In the 720 bays I've had to cut firewall and tunnel almost ready to fab mounts up hoping to use some angle on the chassis and bolt original cross member in and get the box bolted up few clearance issues but just about there now :) how do I go about uploading pics lol. Btw it's just a 2wd and will never pass engineering, in tassie we are like s.a once rego always rego unless defected

Last edited by Kingswood189 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 pm 

So just a quick update have made a rear hump sump work off a wb fairly sure hq upto wb was the same unpicked the mounts off a Vk k frame today and weld it all in tomorrow also using the original Nissan gbox crossmember with New holes extensive cutting of the fire wall and gearbox tunnel but have a Vk to cut pieces out of and found a Xf v8 3 core radiator fitted very nicely with thermos :) turned out a lot more work than anticipated but hopefully worth it lol slightly wishing I went with the 3.8 but to far into it to turn back