Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:30 pm 

Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:39 am
Posts: 14
Hi all

Can anyone share their experience with getting their Datto though VASS engineering (VIC)? The first person I've approached is talking $4,500 + emissions testing which is a scary, scary number. It includes a lane change test and brake fade test at $2,500.

Is this typical?

For background, the car is a 74 180B SSS, original L18 but making somewhere up around 170-180HP (less those that have left the paddock since the engine was built), heavily modified suspension running a ride height of about 105mm (Centerline Suspension did the work). 240K disks up front and R31 disks at the back. Full cage, stripped out interior. Brake lines are run internal to the cabin.


PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:16 pm 

Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:39 am
Posts: 14
Well. It pays to RTFM and understand it.

I want club plates, not full registration for the car which simplifies the process significantly. VSI 33 has exemptions for cars that were previously registered with the modifications fitted (mine fits the bill), and for clubs, where modifications are frequent and common across multiple cars (R31 rear disks on a 1600 or 180B for example), a club scrutineer can certify that the modification meets similar mods listed in a master report without the need for a full VASS engineer's certification.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:41 pm 

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:10 pm
Posts: 342
You still need VASS certification for the roll cage unless you can provide certification it was fitted prior to 1995.

Bolt on suspension mods are fine but if you have cut n shut control arms or welded suspension components they will need VASS certification too unless Centreline suspension has group certification for the mods.

Brake mods need to meet VSI8

Cars manufactured after 1969 must meet VSI 8 for engine modifications

I run a car club and if you were a member we would require VASS certification and it run on "M" plates instead of "H". Otherwise the club is at risk of being booted off the Club permit system.

Not many places will write a RWC for a car with a full cage in it these days. Can't deny it was there when you have to take photo's. Same for the webers now they need a photo of the engine bay from above.

Also modifications that are frequent and common need a Club Permit Master report which must be issued by a Level 1 VASS signatory.

Read the regs carefully and you may be able to get the car through if you can find someone to write a roadworthy. Now Vicroads are going after RWC inspectors who are lenient it is getting a lot harder.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC+11:00

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited