Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: New Build
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:54 am 

Hey guys, after a long absence from owning a Datsun i finally got my hands on another 1600, I've had 3 over the years but the last was over 20 years ago,
I'm not wanting to make a race /rally car just a nice tidy example that's comfortable to drive (I do like stiff suspension on a car though)
there's a lot of info on the forums and I've read hundreds of threads but it's probably too much info and spread out a lot ,
I'm trying to verify if my memory of what we did in the old days is correct ,
from memory in all my old 1600's I used 200b front struts with 240k? springs cut down 1 coil ,
200b brake master cylinder and booster obviously dual circuit lines ,
tokico heavy duty gas shocks all round and 550lb ? rear springs,
the gearbox was 240k and tailshaft shortened 5 1/2 inches with the gearbox mount located further back just with bolts and plates through the floor pan,
pretty much the gearbox mount was the only thing that didn't bolt straight in without modification
engine was an L18 built by St Mary's dyno revved like hell was designed to sit on 7k rpm all day and did so quite often
the car handled well braked well and I was very happy with it
the car I've bought has a L20 which I want to get some extra horses out of, but wanting to keep it a car without a computer in it
it's only a 4 speed I've bought it sight unseen but apparently it's a rust free car

I'm just wanting to confirm if I've got it right as I'm planning to build a similar spec car although it's a bit more regulated nowadays so I'd have to find a gearbox that would bolt straight in using the standard prop shaft and gearbox mounting location according to the light vehicle mod rules, can anyone suggest a gearbox and advise if the other things I've listed will be all good as straight bolt in ?
or are there better or easier suspension / gearbox/brake etc ideas?

any help is most appreciated

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: New Build
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:11 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Are you not even allowed to change to a different gearbox anymore without a cert??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:03 pm 

Nad015 wrote: *
Are you not even allowed to change to a different gearbox anymore without a cert??
you are allowed to change the gearbox but
you're not allowed to change the gearbox mounting point I believe after reading the NSW rules without a modification certificate

seems they're pretty picky nowadays

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:58 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The mounting point on the body of the car? I use the original mounting point, but I custom cross member. I just have a 5 speed long box in a 1600. Obviously the tail shaft is shortened aswell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:43 am 

Nad015 wrote: *
The mounting point on the body of the car? I use the original mounting point, but I custom cross member. I just have a 5 speed long box in a 1600. Obviously the tail shaft is shortened as well
well the way I read it (this is NSW rules) custom cross member needs mod plate :(

vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications

item 9 Any modification to transmission/driveline involving fabrication of components.
Example requiring certification:
•Any modification to the transmission or driveline of a vehicle which involves the fabrication of components such as mounting cross-members and/or structural components.

Examples not requiring certification:
•Non structural transmission or driveline components that have been fabricated eg transmission sump, cooling system, oil cooler.
•External reinforcements eg driveline braces or stiffeners, driveshaft hoops

in saying that if your car is already registered I've never seen a mechanic look at gearbox mounts so you'd probably get away with anything
and even if you're going for a blueslip I'd be surprised that they'd pick up the gearbox mount if you've used the original mounting holes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Wow it’s getting a bit ridiculous.
I wonder how much it would cost for an engineers cert just for a gearbox mount?