Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 pm 

Did anyone find out anymore on this point?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 pm 

Hi Neil
As you see, I kicked this thread off five years ago, but to date no one on the forum has identified records from CAMS auspiced motor sports events in the 68 - 72 era with Datsun 1600s entered, where their competing spec. is recorded as including 5 speed close ratio gear boxes, diff sizes bigger than R160's, and L18 engine blocks, rear disc brakes, etc.

Any one who knows a relative or friend who may have competed in that era, and kept official records of events from that era that detail their car's competing specifications, please ask them to produce copies and send them to me,
Richard Clough
PO Box 4508
Langwarrin
Victoria 3910.

I will be pleased to take any varifiable evidence to CAMS and find out how to get these specs homologated for current Datsun 1600 competitors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:15 pm 

Hi Richard,
Do you mind if I post this up on Facebook to get better exposure?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:05 am 

Helmut Goetz purchased the Ampol car from Schuller and turned it into a rallycross car.
My Navigator purchased a SSS from him with the running gear out of that car.
I got the original body shell, much modified, seam welded etc.
We also ran in the Ampol but got as far as Alice and Datsun would not us have a new manifold as it was spoken for by Schuller.

Shall find out more info as I am trying to think back 46 years, WOW how time flies. don't stand still for too long, time may pass you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:11 pm 

richardc wrote:
Hi Neil
As you see, I kicked this thread off five years ago, but to date no one on the forum has identified records from CAMS auspiced motor sports events in the 68 - 72 era with Datsun 1600s entered, where their competing spec. is recorded as including 5 speed close ratio gear boxes, diff sizes bigger than R160's, and L18 engine blocks, rear disc brakes, etc.

Any one who knows a relative or friend who may have competed in that era, and kept official records of events from that era that detail their car's competing specifications, please ask them to produce copies and send them to me,
Richard Clough
PO Box 4508
Langwarrin
Victoria 3910.

I will be pleased to take any varifiable evidence to CAMS and find out how to get these specs homologated for current Datsun 1600 competitors.
Hi Richard, if you were to contact CAMS re the 1600 that Edgar Herman and Hans Schuller ran in the 1970 Ampol, which was an Australian built SSS by Datsun and was driven after that event by Helmut Goetz at Calder Rallycross and several rallies in Vic and NSW, they should have info or a log book copy of the details of that car.
The car was dismantled in late '72 or early '73. It ran a 240Z close ratio, 5 speed gearbox which bolted straight on.
My ex navigator purchased a 1600 SSS from Helmut Goetz with all the running gear ( ex Ampol Rally car) in it but Datsun demanded the gearbox be removed and they supplied a new 5speed standard 240Z box to fit in the car, which was a road car/daily drive.
I was given the rolling body shell.

Good luck with getting more info, there were not many SSS's around in those days and that was before 180B's came out.
Hope this helps in your search.
Cheers Jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:20 am 

Awesome stuff Jack. Hope this helps out Richard.
Do you have any photos you can scan in?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:11 pm 

All pics are on slides so no can do. Shall try and dig some up though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:03 pm 

Hi Guys
I am back from house reno oblivion and back to shed work!
Great bit of info from Jack 48. Definitely worth a follow up with CAMs next time I visit them. Cheers Jack.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:39 pm 

This thread raises similar problems to those racing Zeds in Sc Historic who want to use sports option parts but cannot show their auctual use in a race Z.

The common problem boils down to official record keeping or lack thereof, CAMS requires all race cars to be log booked for their official record keeping purposes, why aren't those records available for official purposes now? Surely CAMS should be responsible for keeping and organising such information. With historics it seems to be that info available from private sources is often crucial in allowing the use of desirable parts. Good luck with the search.