Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: The Confession Booth
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:26 pm 

I have to confess early Datsun building stuffups - to help new builders avoid mine!
Some may have experienced my frustration after climbing out from under the car, feeling good that the clutch change was done and the box finally bolted up again after fair bit of spanner work to pull it up to the block, to find I could not engage the clutch. I had failed to check the length of the clutch throw out collar required on a replacement clutch pressure plate. Back under the car to do it all over again!
My son wanted a replacement gearbox fitted in a hurry to his daily driver 1600. I selected a Bluebird five speed from my parts bin. I had "U picked" the box years before when gearboxes were on special the day I was there looking for other Datsun bits. I didn't need a gearbox but I thought the need for it may come when they were not so cheap - and now it had!

I fitted it up, including fabricating a cross member to fit it in his car. I opened the oil filler hole to fill it. Peering inside, it looked like the cluster gear was tilted downward, indicating a broken layshaft. Disgusted at buying a dud gearbox, I pulled it out and replaced it with one from another 1600 in the shed, to get him going.

Years later when rationalising my spare parts, I was about to throw out the "dud" bluey box when I noticed it rotated smoothly at both ends in all gears, nothing wrong at all, just my eyesight looking at a helically cut gear through a hole in poor light.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:40 pm 

well I found out this week that my datto doesnt like being messed with
I was outside playing with the carby.. I took the carby and manifold off
and went to walk away from the car and I droped it right on my foot
and of corse I wasn't wearing any shoes and so now 4 stiches later I am hobbling around with a set of crutches :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
ps it realy hurt :lol:

This old post by sweet_stanza prompted me to confess to a time when we owned a potent Morris Cooper S. They wear our CV joints.

I had just removed a worn CV joint, when my wife walks up to see what a CV looks like. I lift it up to show her, and being greasy, it slips out of my hand landing on her bare foot, breaking 2 toes. An injury just like sweet_sixteen's picture. with lots of blood added.

Our next problem was that I had to rebuild the front end before I could drive my wife to hospital - fastest CV install I ever did.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:54 pm 

OK,

When having to move the tandem and feeling a bit lazy you decide to not drop the locking mechanism under the ball, because you are just going to pull it out on the street and unhook it. Forgetting the impact of the dip at the bottom of your crossover. First sound - pop, followed by you braking wondering what that sound was, next sound BANG as the ball and a trailer still heading down your driveway crashes into the back of your 4WD. That's cool, it has dents anyway.

You jump in the 4WD with your wife and throw it in reverse, BANG, we look at each other like WTF.. Enter, 2003 mini cooper S unseen in mirrors, usually parked in front of said 4WD. I think thats how they came up with the name mini. Some dude in his massive Rolls Royce with too many brandys under his belt backed over one and said "Golly Gosh old chap, that's rather small, mini in fact".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm 

im going to contribute something that happend 5 minutes ago,tightening distibuter bolt,spanner slips off bolt,finger and spanner go into radiator fan,finger has 3 swollen red lumps 20 mills apart. FML sooo sore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:17 pm 

I'm Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:47 pm 

dats-son wrote:
im going to contribute something that happend 5 minutes ago,tightening distibuter bolt,spanner slips off bolt,finger and spanner go into radiator fan,finger has 3 swollen red lumps 20 mills apart. FML sooo sore.
Lucky u still have fingers lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 am 

I once tried to drain coolant out of a reservoir ona VP Commodore I used to own and decided that rather than unbolt it why don't I just siphon it out. So I got some hose, stuck my mouth on the end and reasoned that if I was quick all would be cool.

Well I wasn't quick and got a gobfull of coolant in my mouth and my throat burned like hell for a week :shock:
dats-son wrote:
Does anybody on here surf? the feeling of your legrope snapping is similar to snapping a nut.exept you drown and get eaten by octopus,stingrays and eels.......sharks are pussys haha.
Surf pretty much every weekend and yep have snapped a few leggies in my time. The worst was out at Flinders, 2.5 metre swell and the bloody board ended up catching a white wash freight train for about 350 metres after I went A over T when I stuffed up a takeoff. It was winter too and going for a swim with booties, steamer and a hood on to go get it was not fun.

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:14 pm 

mmmm coolant nothing like a carcenagen in your mouth.

i do a bit of surf life saving down at cape patterson. about 2 years ago my life saving board flipped up smacked in the face and broke my nose. looks good when the life saver is the one been treated on the beach.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:25 pm 

bahahaha,just learned pistons come out the top,not the bottom haha,i was pullen at the rods sooo hard that i pulled my back out..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:50 am 

went for a drive on monday and put my foot on the brakes it felt really funny, i had alot of trouble pulling the car up and i though well mabe it's due for disc pads, they havent been replaced in nearly 60k so i go get a good set of bendix pads and threw them in, went for a drive and still the same thing, i ended up takeing to my mates to get it up on the hoist thinking i might have had a blockage in the brake line, and there it was on the rear brake lines my brake line clamps id used just that saturday when i was out the drags, made me feel like a total tool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:37 pm 

666DAT wrote:
made me feel like a total tool.
....yeeeeep.

:lol:

Best laugh I've had for a while.

My own confession:

Working on the car, just pulled in the driveway from school. Bit strange, blowing a bit of smoke. (Rings are stuffed or the oil is too thin)

Walked around the back to check out if it was bellowing any out when idling...nope.

Put one foot in the car and gave it a rev, *Tyre screech!* and it ran itself straight back into the trailer *bang*.

...thought I'd put it in park/neutral...it was in reverse...

Quickly put it everything back, and pulled the bumper off and did some backyard panelbeating before anyone got home...

Dad still asks me what it was 'til this day.

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:24 am 

My contribution,
first time changing brake pads.
My old U12 Pintara TRX
Useing a g-clamp to compress the piston in the caliper, clamp didnt have enough 'range' to push the piston in, so I got my Nissan Wheel Iron.
I was sitting on the ground with my face right in the wheel arch to see what i was doing....
Jammed in the wheel iron in the space between piston and g-clamp, and started levering back, piston started compressing....great!
then the g-clamp SNAPPED.
Wheel Iron hit me in the cheeckbone so hard it made me go floppy and fall backwards (concussion or something?)
I hit the back of my head on the pavement. Night night.... out like a light.
Woke up 30 min later all dazed and 20 mozzie bites on my face and arms.

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 pm 

I smashed my fcuking front guard today on my 240k trying to push it around in my shed :evil:

i hate myself right now :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:08 pm 

Yeah i got one on my old 1200sedan i wanted the rod that hold,s down the air fillter to stay still on the carbie :?
I was trying to drip lock tite in hole first instead of puting it on thead of rod. Well i missed with only a few drops or so i thought.
It went down into carb and shut it up one of the butter fly,s at the bottem yeah thank god my mate has a lot of spares at his work shop LOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 pm 

Had a little scare last night. I was working on the Datto all arvo mostly the lights. I had to move the battery so i un did the holder an kept working. Later on i decided to bypass the daily and take to the 200B out to get dinner. Went round a corner and heard a large grinding noise. I stopped to check it and upon braking it stopped. Made it another 100 metres and it was back worse i stopped and the noise remained. Popped the hood to fing my battery had slid into the path of the fan. Laughed a bit then realised how bad it could be if i hadnt taken the car out until this weekend when im going to eildon.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo