Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 pm 

Hey. just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the 1971-74 Toyota Crowns? I just love the look of em, mainly the front part where the indicator lights go. You don't see too many around, the only one I have ever seen is owned by a guy in my town and the thing is mint. I mainly want to know if there's much of an availability on spare parts as I have found one but it has a blown engine. I know they are from the same era as a 180B and there's still quite a few spare parts available for them but as I said these cars a pretty damn rare... Anyway here's a pic
[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 pm 

During work experience i helped rebuild the manual trans on one. It had plenty of go for such a big car. Very comfy to but rusted badly i thought the whole boot would fall off if i sat on it. Theres a few in my local area a yellow mint one and a 2 door version i really like.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:52 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

i do know they make me dry reach whenever i see one...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:46 am 

finding bits for em is tricky

i think they had M series engines (4M i think?), of which bits arent too hard to find. generally have to pay toyota tax on them though so careful

they look pretty sweet with a couple little touches like a bit lower (not nuts low, just a bit) and the right wheels :D they're up there with the old glorias, cimas and presidents in my book, weirdly obscure and wonderful, and take some appreciation but cooool when done right.
lots of cool engine options for them too, if you wanted to stay with M engines the 7MGE or the GTE is pretty stout (ONLY if you rebuild it and do the headgasket right though, they're chronic for BHG's otherwise), or do it proud with a 1UZ (you dont have to think about opening them until post 500hp ;)), or go a bit sikbro and put a 2J innit but i dont reckon it really suits

rust is a killer so have a GOOD look for it if you're lookin at one. you never know whats underneath, and cars like this its a very good chance theres some stuff to deal with

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 am 

[ img ]
[ img ]

check 7tune and speedhunters for some awesome crowns, just err... dont yell at me when you buy one 20mins later :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:18 pm 

isnt the chassis code for the first pic you posted ratdat, a MS65?

Theres a lovely wrecker down your way that has a couple coupe versions

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:45 pm 

Just looking at that ute photo and it struck me theres a bloke in alphington who has about 4. He has a wagon or two and the ute as well they are all in resonable nick to. Even though they never seem to go anywhere. Still i think they probably all have rust. The coupe is a really good looking car i used to ride my dragstar past one just after a huge hill every day on my way to work.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:11 am 

Green510 wrote:
isnt the chassis code for the first pic you posted ratdat, a MS65?

Theres a lovely wrecker down your way that has a couple coupe versions
Yes. You are right. It is an S60... I meant to put that in the first post. The s70's are the hardtop coupes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:11 am 

And what wrecker would you be talking about? Not many wreckers around here have cars older than 1990, unless you are thinking of Talbot wreckers?